National Bullying Prevention Month is an opportunity to highlight the important work we must all do to end bullying offline and online in schools, universities, organizations and faith institutions for all people. One important way to prevent bullying is to take steps to create safe space before it event starts through identifying and encouraging allies to step forward as Upstanders. We encourage you to let people know you are ‘in their corner’ and ready to take action as well as to listen.
What does it take to be an Upstander to those who may not fit the norm, who may become bullied because they are outsiders or different? It takes commitment to report bullying when you see it, to demonstrate compassion and care for those who experience it, and to actively engage your community to nurture and embrace all identities, regardless of religious affiliation, race, gender identity, sexual identity, immigration status, or ability.
Here’s what you can do now:
Add a ribbon (or Twibbon) to your profile image so that individuals online know you are safe to speak with with and that you are committed to end bullying, online and offline.
Take the Upstander Pledge and commit themselves to being an #Upstander in their community.
Schools, universities and employers across the nation are taking the #Day1 Declaration to create safe space and prevent bullying, harassment and humiliation online and offline. Share it with your community today.
Join Us At One of These Events to Support Bullying Prevention
- October 4-8: ORLANDO. The Tyler Clementi Foundation shares #Day1 programming with the 2016 Out & Equal Workplace Summit
- October 5 – 7: NEW YORK CITY. AT&T in partnership with the Tyler Clementi Foundation hosts the Film Invitational which recognizes outstanding young cinema creators for a film on cyberbullying at the All-American High School Film Festival. The winner will also be recognized at the annual Upstander Legacy Celebration in November.
- October 8: NEW YORK CITY at Stonewall Inn, 7pm. The annual Nobles’ Event features appearance by James Clementi with proceeds going to the Tyler Clementi Foundation
- October 11: NEW YORK CITY. Jane and James Clementi speak at Bloomberg offices in NYC. This is a private event.
- October 17: PARAMUS, NJ. Jane and James Clementi speaking at Paramus High School. This is a private event.
- October 21: LONG ISLAND, NY. James Clementi speaks at Fair Media Council Conference.
- October 23: NEW ORLEANS. Tyler’s Suite is performed by The New Orleans Symphony Chorus with an appearance by Jane Clementi. This is a ticketed event.
- October 23: NEW YORK CITY. Love is All You Need film premiere with introduction by TCF Executive Director.This is a ticketed event.