I pledge to be an Upstander:
- I will stand up to bullying whether I’m at school, at home, at work, in my house of worship, or out with friends, family, colleagues, or teammates.
- I will work to make others feel safe and included by treating them with respect and compassion.
- I will not use insulting or demeaning language, slurs, gestures, facial expressions, or jokes about anyone’s sexuality, size, gender, race, any kind of disability, religion, class, politics, or other differences, in person or while using technology.
If I see or hear behavior that perpetuates prejudice:
- I will speak up! I will let others know that bullying, cruelty, and prejudice are abusive and not acceptable.
- I will reach out to someone I know who has been the target of abusive actions or words and let this person know that this is not okay with me and ask how I can help.
- I will remain vigilant and not be a passive audience or “bystander” to abusive actions or words.
If I learn in person or online that someone is feeling seriously depressed or potentially suicidal:
- I will reach out and tell this person, “Your life has value and is important, no matter how you feel at the moment and no matter what others say or think.”
- I will strongly encourage this person to get professional help.
Are you sharing the Upstander Pledge with Youth? Download this Certificate.
Download and print this simple certificate that gives each young person in a classroom or organization the opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to be an Upstander to their peers.