TRUE FAITH DOESN’T BULLY Learn more about this campaign to end religious-based bullying!
In response to religious-based bullying of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) students and communities at Biola University, the Tyler Clementi Foundation has partnered with students, alumni, and local faith leaders to demonstrate as #Upstanders.
Date and Time: Monday, December 4, 2017, 11:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Location: Biola University, 13800 Biola Ave, La Mirada, CA 90639. Biola Ave and…
- Jane Clementi, co-founder of the Tyler Clementi Foundation, Christian, and mother of Tyler Clementi, who died by suicide in 2010 after being cyberbullied on his college campus.
- Rev. Mel White was a highly-visible member of the Evangelical Protestant movement until he came out as gay in 1994 and devoted himself to ministering to LGBTQ people.
- Mitchell Gold, co-founder of Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, also co-founder of Faith in America, which in November joined forces with the Tyler Clementi Foundation to fight faith-based bullying.
- Erin Green is a gay Christian, former Biola University student, LGBTQ activist, and Faith Programs Coordinator at the Tyler Clementi Foundation.
- Dr. Ken Fong is the executive director of the Asian American Initiative and Assistant Professor of Asian American Church Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary.
- Pastor Danny Cortez is the founding pastor of New Heart Community Church and a Board member of The Gay Christian Network.
11:00 a.m.- 11:15 a.m.— Meet on-campus at Metzgar lawn.
11:15 a.m.- 11:20 a.m.— Greeting and introduction by Erin Green.
11:20 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.— Prayer circle led by a local pastor.
11:30 a.m.- 11:40 a.m.— Walk over to the public demonstration location on Biola Ave.
11:45 a.m.- 11:50 a.m.— Erin Green gives formal introduction and speaks about her experience on campus.
11:50 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.— Official speaker series.
12:30 p.m.- 1:00 p.m.— Open for additional individuals/students who want to share their stories.